The Best Natural Talalay Latex Mattress that you can find!

Origin of Latex

  • Synthetic Latex:

Synthetic latex makes up most of the market today. It is man-made and what most people know to be latex. Synthetic latex behaves similar to organic latex but has a lot of shortcomings. It is less firm, has a significantly shorter lifespan. Most of us know it for its off-gassing of chemicals which can trigger allergic reactions.

  • Natural Latex:

Compared to synthetic latex, organic latex has a strong and homogeneous cell structure and smells very pleasant. The sap is derived from rubber trees that grow within 10 degrees (or 200km) of the equator. The sap is collected by tapping, i.e. making an incisions under the bark of the tree and collecting the fluid that runs out. This looks very similar to tapping a maple tree for its syrup. As it is with the maple trees, so the cut on the rubber tree heals in a fairly short amount of time and the sap stops flowing. Then, the harvester makes a new incision to continue to harvest sap. This cycle is repeated for around 180 days per year. Rubber trees yield sap for approximately 30 years before the trees are harvested and new ones are planted. Once harvested, the sap is transported to manufacturing plants and gets refined in one of two ways to manufacture a natural / organic latex mattress.

Talalay latex mattress

Natural Talalay Latex Versus Dunlop


  • Dunlop Latex Mattress:

The process to manufacture a Dunlop latex mattress was first discovered in the 1920s. Once the sap reaches the plant it is poured into a centrifuge which whips the rubber sap into a froth. The serum is then poured into a mold, covered and steam baked. During this process, natural sedimentation takes place which makes a Dunlop latex mattress slightly denser in the bottom side than in the top of the mold. In comparison to the superior Talalay latex, Dunlop latex is not frozen. As a result, the latex will decrease slightly in density during its life. Despite being available in different firmness levels, Dunlop latex mattresses are generally firmer than Talalay latex.

  • Talalay Latex Mattress:

Joseph Talalay discovered the Talalay process in the 1930s which marked the start of the natural Talalay latex mattress. The manufacturing process is very similar to Dunlop latex, with the exception of two additional steps. After the sap is poured into the mold and before it is baked the following two processes take place. Firstly, latex is put in a vacuum chamber in order to ensure a consistent density throughout the mattress. Secondly, the latex serum is frozen. This results in a better consistency in the density of the mattress over its life. The Talalay process is the more expensive process, but it achieves a higher quality mattress which is more elastic, more durable and has a better ventilation. Radium, one of the most premier natural Talalay latex mattress manufacturers resides in the Netherlands in Maastricht. They produce one of the highest quality natural Talalay latex mattress in the world (why-vita-talalay).

Talalay latex mattress

About our Mattress

We procure our mattresses from Vita Talalay. It is one of the premier natural Talalay latex mattress manufacturer in the world. The five core values of Vita Talalay – Quality, Natural, Health, Transparency and Sustainability, align very well with our own philosophy. At Vita Talalay all products and production processes are certified. They satisfy the highest health requirements. Their natural Talalay latex mattresses are 97% percent pure latex. The remaining 3% are natural remnants of the production process. This makes these mattresses the purest latex mattresses found anywhere in the world today. The mattresses are free of petroleum-based foams and do not release toxic chemicals.


Benefits
of a Natural Talalay Latex Mattress

  • Breathable (Talalay is 4 times more breathable than dunlop latex)
  • Unparalleled support
  • Minimal pressure points
  • Doesn’t transfer motion unlike traditional mattresses
  • Much higher life span than conventional mattresses
  • Anti-fungal and anti-bacterial
  • Dust mite resistant
  • Hypo-allergenic
  • No toxic off-gassing

Contact us here for more information.